Let’s sum up this day in two words: Chilly. Chili.
The polar vortex is back, but this time I’m arming myself with a warm, hearty chili!
This lightened-up turkey chili recipe is super easy and quick to make, and will only cost you 200 calories per cup—yes, really! It’s delicious, and of course, good for you, too: With the mix of lean protein from the ground turkey, and fiber from all the beans and veggies, you’re stomach won’t be growling for hours. It’s the perfect bowl of comfort food on a cold night—whether you’re watching what you eat or not.
Healthy & Hearty Turkey Chili
Makes 10 cups
Per cup: 200 calories / 25g carbs / 4g fat / 16g protein
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 15oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 4oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 15oz. can chili beans
- 1 15oz. can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 packet chili seasoning (we use McCormick Original Chili)
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika (optional)
- ½ tsp. oregano (optional)
- In a soup pot over medium heat, sauté onion, bell pepper, garlic and celery for 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey; cook until crumbled and no longer pink.
- Stir in diced and crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, chili beans, and kidney beans. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in packet to chili seasoning. For a little extra heat and flavor, add in cayenne pepper, smoked paprika and oregano.
- Reduce chili to a simmer, leaving the lid off to boil away excess liquid.
- Let simmer, stirring occasionally, for at least 20 minutes to meld flavors.
- Serve & enjoy!
Psst… Don’t let the toppings get the best of you:
Switch out the usual suspects with some healthier options, like a dollop of plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream (you won’t notice the difference), low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, hot sauce, or chopped green onion for some extra flavor.
– – –
What are your go-to comfort foods?
What other kinds of healthy recipes would you like to see?